Thursday, January 27, 2011

Reflective Essay #3

Bioshock
The textures on the walls are very detailed, I am not sure if it is marble or if it is just cracked and aged, but either way that texture helps to give the player a since of something real around them rather than a computer generated plain wall. What I really like is the floor, and I am not sure how they did that to make the gold parts so much more shinny than the rest, maybe that will be something I learn to do in this class. I think that the game designers probably have people dedicated to just making the environment textures considering how detailed they are. I doubt that they find these pre-made and just plug them in.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
There are so many different textures in this screen shot yet they are all in the same monochromatic color scale. The distressed look on the brick and cement walls give a since of something that has been abandoned or run down- which is usually the time of environment that Call Of Duty sets its maps. Now these textures seem a little bit more cookie cutter, they probably had a brick or cement texture already made and they just tweak it, but they have a lot of surface area so I do not blame them.

Red Dead Redemption
This game has A LOT of wood grain textures in it, which is appropriate becuase it is set in the old west. In this picture I like the texture done on the "Sheriff" sign because that is a good example of a texture being done in a 2D program and put in, I can see the texture map now and how you would UV map that into the scene. There is a lot of repetition in the textures, between wood, rusted metal, and leather, I think that they probably only had a couple different texture maps and just layered the UV map pieces on top of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment